Four 3rd graders hospitalized after eating edibles: Escondido Union School District

We know the sick third graders were taken to the hospital for evaluation, but the school district didn't say anything more about their condition.

“The wide accessibility and commercialization of “edibles” – food products infused with THC – is cause for concern in school communities across the state, including our own," read part of a statement issued by the district Wednesday.

Since cannabis was legalized in 2015, the number of children needing treatment at Rady Children’s Hospital after ingesting it has increased from a handful to hundreds each year. The average age of those patients is 3-and-a-half years old, according to the hospital. The effects of cannabis overconsumption on children can be life-threatening.

To view NBC news click here.