Doctors Warn No Protection Against Marijuana Child Poisoning

Timmy's eyes were rolling side to side in his head as his floppy body did not respond to his mother's calling. He was rushed to the hospital and admitted to the ICU. The 4-year-old ate one of his mother's Cannabis Infused Rainbow Sherbet flavored gummies and ended up with marijuana poisoning and coma. There is no antidote to THC, the psychoactive chemical in cannabis, so Timmy had to wait and detoxify over the next couple of days.

Timmy is one of 7043 children under the age of 6 exposed to cannabis in the United States between 2017-2021. According to the National Poison Data System pediatric exposures increased 1375% during that time. Diagnosis data from Children's Hospitals found 15% of marijuana-related hospital encounters required hospitalization and 4% required mechanical ventilation.

To view article click here.