Working from home: Tips for maintaining productivity
As many of us are a couple weeks into working from home, it’s normal to start to feel a little burnt out. Here are a couple things to keep in mind when working from home:
- Maintain your schedule. Treat each workday as if you were heading into the office. Setting your alarm for the same time every day and following your usual morning routine will put you in the headspace that you are going to work.
- Have a designated workspace. Confining your work to a certain room in your home can help you stay focused throughout the day and maintain a routine. If you don’t have a separate room available, find an area with minimal traffic flow to limit distractions.
- Use headphones to block out distracting noises. Listening to mediation music or sounds of nature may help you maintain focus without being too distracting.
- Take breaks. Taking regular breaks can help make sure you do not get overwhelmed. Getting up to take a quick walk around your home, do some stretching or take your dog out can help you re-energize and focus on the rest of the workday.
- Plan ahead. It is helpful to plan out your workday the night before. Identify what tasks are most vital and assign them to yourself at the start of the day to ensure that they get completed. Save the more mundane tasks for later in the afternoon when your energy begins to decline.
- Stay connected. It is easy to feel isolated from your team working remotely. It is essential to maintain open communication with your team while working remotely. Scheduling regular check-in meetings with your team will help everyone feel connected and supported during these atypical times.